Monday, September 12, 2005

Writer's Block

I haven't written for a while and I'm not really sure why.

It isn't that I haven't anything to say. As I said in an earlier blog, I've got opinions out the wazoo, but the trouble is figuring out what to say that might be interesting to you, the reader, as opposed to me, the writer. Maybe that's why I don't get "modern" art; the artist sees something in what they've slapped down on canvas, but when I look at it, all I see is a bunch of squiggles. I have this sneaking suspicion that all some of you see when you read some of my musings are my mental squiggles.

Political topics are always a fertile source of writing material, but just about everyone in the blogworld seems to write about politics from the Right, the Left and every other conceivable angle and my two cents worth are worth just about that much. I probably tend to ramble on with political ranting more than I should anyway.

On the other hand, I sometimes think that my navel-gazing essays are, well, just that; navel-gazing, and we all know how fascinating it is to watch someone else doing that all the time. Somehow, someway, there are those fortunate folks who get someone else to actually buy a book or article in which navel-gazing is the primary component. Most autobiographies are probably in that category, but my life story will probably never make the best-seller list anytime soon.

Nope, between work and relatively tiny family issues, I just haven't felt much like writing. I cannot even imagine what a professional writer goes through on a daily basis trying to grind out something that everyone, or at least a majority of their audience, will find worth reading.

Gotta go get my youngest daughter from Borders, where she's been going after school a lot lately to "work" on school projects. She's getting ready to turn sixteen next month (two days before I hit the big Five Oh) and is getting more and more antsy to be out of the house and with friends, particularly boys.

That'll give me something to write; my "You toucha my daughter, I breaka you face" lecture. I'll have fun with that one.

No comments: